We (the owners) of this blog are not compensated to provide opinion on the books, literature, websites, and/or various other topics that we review. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely our own.

© 2014, Jess @ A Cup of Tea & A Big Book · All rights reserved.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Book Review: The Book Thief- Markus Zusak


Author: Markus Zusak
Publisher/Year: Knopf Books for Young Readers/ 2006
Genre: Historical Fiction, World War II, Holocaust, Young Adult
Format: Paperback






Thing Two's In-Depth Review

The Juicy Stuff:
The story is from the point of view of the Grimm Reaper himself. As weird as that might seem Zusak makes it work beautifully. He follows how a young girl adapts to her tiny town during the holocaust and how she learns what is most important in life. 

How It Made Me Feel:
I am fascinated by this genre of books to begin with but this book jumped to my all time favorite. All of the feels. I caught myself holding my breath a few times during the book. 

What I Thought Worked:
Everything. Especially the original PoV. We've all heard about the Holocaust and Anne Frank but for some reason this book put me right in the middle of it all.

What I Thought Didn't Work:
Absolutely nothing. Except that it had to end. It was mildly predictable but to me that isn't the take home point. 


Rating:

Why It Got That Rating:
When a young adult book moves me and makes me ponder humanity like The Book Thief has, there is no other option for a rating.


Who Would I Recommend To:
History fans, Young adults, People who fall in love with characters. 

Last Impressions/Remarks:
I'm sorry for being so vague, I don't want to give much away. That does not by any means mean that it means less to me. I wish I could give everyone a copy. If you've been putting it off like I did, go read it now!!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! We greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to read our blog! We hope you enjoy it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...