We (the owners) of this blog are not compensated to provide opinion on the books, literature, websites, and/or various other topics that we review. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely our own.

© 2014, Jess @ A Cup of Tea & A Big Book · All rights reserved.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Book Review: Forgetting Allyssa- Stephanie Romans


Publisher/Year: Illusio & Bager/2014
Genre: YA, YA Romance
Format: eARC
Other Books By Author:  Debut Novel




The Juicy Stuff:
When seventeen year old Allyssa Bradshaw wakes up from the nap of a lifetime, things aren’t really adding up. Her face feels like it’s gone through the toaster, and she doesn’t recognize the people standing around her—she doesn’t even recognize herself.

Clearly she’s woken up on the wrong side of the hospital gurney.

As she recovers from an attack she doesn’t want to remember, Allyssa is thrown into what feels like someone else’s life. Despite her lack of memories, she heads off to high school determined to start anew. What Allyssa doesn’t expect is the backlash of a life she can’t remember. The more she learns about Old Allyssa the less she wants to have anything to do with her, making this New Allyssa determined to become someone better.

Forgetting Allyssa is a story of love, loss, and identity—who you were does not mean that’s who you are

How It Made Me Feel:
Oh my goodness gracious.  I was so very excited to read this book, but I did not know it was going to be one of those books that makes you laugh and makes you cry and makes you look up to the skies in exasperation.  No joke! I experienced each of those emotions and more as I read from page 1 to page 398.  I was immediately captured by the text and sent to a different world.  A world where I was able to relate to the character in more ways than one.   Allyssa, at the beginning of the book, was a confused high school senior and the book tracks her journey through self discovery, growth, and, quite frankly, maturation.  It's a journey we should have all seen (or will see, depending on your age) no matter the extenuating circumstances.  There is enough humor to keep you laughing, enough gotcha's to be surprised once or twice, and enough YA, clean romance that will be ok for any age.  I, myself, couldn't help but love Rami.  He had his moments where his youthful demeanor was reminiscent of my younger brother, but then he would quickly turn into the doting, self respectable guy any good girl would want for a boyfriend.  Such a fabulous read.

What I Thought Worked:
I loved Rami's personality, background, and emotional activity that you read about as the story progresses.  I wasn't sure if he was going to be a friend to Allyssa or a foe at the start of the book.  But I was pleasantly surprised with the little twist towards the end.  If I was able to give out a Best Supporting Actor Award, I would for Rami.  He's my favorite character if not tied to first place.

What I Thought Didn't Work:
To be completely honest, the only thing I did not like about this book was the fact that it was an eARC.  This is a book I am going to have to buy so I can keep it on the shelves.

Rating


Why It Got That Rating:
For me, personally, this was a book after my own heart.  I felt a great connection with the book and I had certain situations that were extremely similar to Allyssa's experiences.  I enjoyed reading about other people's problems and seeing how they dealt with them.  This is most certainly a book I would love to add to my personal collection.

Who Would I Recommend To:i
I would recommend this book to any YA fan or a fan of YA romance.  It's such a sweet story about a girl's senior year.  For those of you who have graduated, do you remember senior year?  I know I do, and this took me back to an easier time while still keeping the mystery and support alive.

Last Impressions/Remarks:
I was so very glad I was able to take a chance and review the book.  Sat down and read it in 30 minuted, give or take, and found myself disappointed when I learned we were out of stuff. 
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! We greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to read our blog! We hope you enjoy it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...